Sunday, May 17, 2009

Versatile Yaesu Microphone - MD100A8X






I've used the MD100A8X for the last 6 or so years on my FT840 HF rig. The FT840 is no longer offered by Yaesu.

I've made tons of contacts using it and I have always received good signal and audio reports.

The same mic is available for the FT857 and FT897 as well. Yaesu made the mic cord reversable to fit multiple radios.

From the pic at the top you can see the dual connectors on the base of the mic. On the mic cable, the 8 pin modular connector is on the left (top pic) and the 8 pin round connector is on the right (bottom pic). Also shown in the bottom pic is the HEIL AD100 cable. More on this one later.

For my FT840, the 8 pin modular connector is plugged into the mic and the 8 pin round connector is plugged into the radio. This also works for the FT1000, FT920, FT950, FT990, FT2000 and the FTdx9000 radios.

If the mic cord is reversed and the 8 pin round connector is plugged into the microphone, then the modular connector end is plugged into the radio. This works on the FT450, FT817, FT857 or FT897.

Very clever design. But, wait, there's more to the story.

For the last year or so I have been running a local 2M net on Thursdays using my FT1500 mobile unit. I use it as a base unit with a RS 3 amp power supply for power with a MFJ Ultralight antenna on the guttering outside my window. While this works fine, the mobile mic gets to me after a while because you have to hold the mic ptt down while talking ... my hand cramps.

I have often looked over at my nice base station microphone and wished I could use it with my FT1500 - they're both Yaesu, right? I have finally found an answer!

The HEIL company sells an interface cable for use with their microphones and headsets. They have a cable (the AD100) that connects a 8 pin round connector to a 6 pin modular connector.

Guess what? Yep, the FT1500 has a 6 pin modular connector! I ordered the cable and it works great! I can now connect my MD100 microphone to my FT1500 mobile for the nets.

I have an excellent quality microphone with a PTT that I don't have to hold down all the time. I should have a much better sound on the nets now and I son't have hand cramps to contend with -- a long search but well worth it!

This will also work with the FT8800, FT8900, FT2800M, the FT7800 radios. The HEIL conversion chart shows these radios also have the 6 pin modular connector as well.

Yes, there is a down-side ... my mobile mic has function keys that I use for DTMF tones, so I will lose that ability with the new mic. My workaround, however, is I can use my ICOM T7H hand-held for sending DTMF codes if needed.

... AR


No comments:

Post a Comment