Wednesday, August 05, 2009

1010 Summer Phone Contest (Aug 1,2)

The 1010 Organization held their Summer Phone contest this past weekend. It gave me a chance to check out my "small vertical" and I was pleased with the antenna over all. I ended with 31 QSOs and 14 states distributed across the U.S.

My antenna is a Hygain 18 foot vertical with a loading coil at the base. It is ground mounted with 4 radials of 13 feet each and one ground rod. The loading coil is not needed on 20 meters, but I did have to use a couple of turns for 10 meters.
I was able to work just about everyone I could hear.

On Saturday, contacts were few and far between. I only made about 5 the whole day. Sunday, however, things opened up and I made the rest of the contacts from about 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. IF I had started earlier, I'm sure I could have doubled my count.

Anyway, it was fun. Click here for the 1010 website.

...AR

No comments:

Post a Comment