Friday, August 07, 2009

Digital Dilemma Summary

In looking over the several different digital packages available for EmCom type communication, here is a brief summary of the packages I know about. Basically, all of these are sound card based. I'm sure there are others available as well.

I have discussed several of these programs in earlier posts. I will be updating this summary as I find out more information. Anyway, here goes ...

NBEMS - Narrow Band Emergency Message System - is detailed in an earlier post. In summary, though, here are the essentials:
1. Has a Windows and Linux Version.
2. Uses Fldigi and Flarq (ARQ provides error-checking)
3. Modes - RTTY, PSK31, PSK63, PSK125, PSK250, MFSK
4. GUI is easy to use. Can send small files.

OUTPOST - Uses BBS System
1. Windows
2. Uses own program
3. Modes - PACKET
4. Excellent GUI includes a message form maker to pre-format messages. Includes NTS, Bulletins, and Private Message form.

EcomScs - Uses BBS System but provision for email
1. Windows
2. Uses own program
3. Modes - PACKET
4. GUI allows creation of message forms. BBS connection and Keyboard to keyboard messages.
5. Extended product called GateWayScs provides a temporary mail box if BBS not available and CAN BE connected to the internet for email.

(PSKMail and WinLink2K covered under another post ... see Comments)

...AR

4 comments:

  1. NBEMS. I think I'd try this because its Linux and Windows both and therefore would have a better chance of being adopted by greater quantity of folks. Small files and a GUI with the reliability of the PSK modes. Cool !

    OUTPUT: Is this outpost ? The pre-built forms are nice, but I guess I could make those in Excel or Word and export them to text for cut 'n paste into any program with a bit of leg work.

    EcomScs is a new one for me !

    PSKMail: An established program.

    Decisions, Decisions...

    Thanks Gene. Are you leaning toward one or the other ?

    73
    KD5NJR
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right ... OUTPUT should be OUTPOST!! I have made the change in the text. Late night posts should require a proof reader!

    I also like the NBEMS because of the dual operating system availability. This would be a good one to work on as a "standard" locally.

    PS - But I do want to get PSKMail working for my own learning and have the ability to use one of their servers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you consider WinLink 2000 to be a digital form of communication? I loaded it and got it working when I had aspirations of working on MARS before it folded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question, Mac. I had to do a little research to figure out my answer to this.

    From the Winlink2K website:
    "Winlink 2000 (WL2K) is a worldwide system of volunteer resources supporting e-mail by radio, with non-commercial links to internet e-mail."

    After reading this, my answer is "No" but I'm sure there is a huge grey area here. I'll have to do some more reading on this but my thinking is Winlink2k is more of a pipeline supporting email than a digital communication mode.

    I was very encouraged to see the Winlink2K now has a sound card mode which should help make this interface more affordable.

    73, Gene.

    ReplyDelete