Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Knoppix

A good place to start with Linux (I hope) is www.knoppix.net . I have started with the Dummies Book and, so far, successfully ran the program on my pc and laptop. Next in line are learning some of the commands and using the ton of software on my DVD that came with the book.

First things first, I guess. I am comfortable with the line command mode called CLI but learning the Linux commands may take a while. My first challenge will be to get Knoppix to recognize my wireless network on my laptop and on my desktop.

Should be interesting ....

4 comments:

  1. wifi = "... Dummies" Chapter 11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene, have you made a "persistent Knoppix image" on a USB drive ? With that and the boot disk, you could go anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do plan to create the USB drive image but not there yet. Will work on it this weekend (my plan anyway)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did get my persistent image created but it is not working like I thought. I thought I could boot from the thumb drive, but I still have to insert the CD to get KNOPPIX to boot.

    I do see the thumb drive and I am able to store files on it so that is some progress.

    ReplyDelete